Beware of Loose Bristles on Worn Out Grill Brushes Causing Illnesses
Image: Pixabay

Beware of Loose Bristles on Worn Out Grill Brushes Causing Illnesses

Following multiple reports of people getting sick and even severely injured from accidentally ingesting bristles from metal grill cleaning brushes, United States Senator Charles E. Schumer (D-NY) has asked the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to conduct an investigation into the safety of the brushes.

While consumers across the country use these brushes to clean their grills every day, the problem appears to be when the brushes begin to wear out, causing the bristles to become loose.

Recently, one New Jersey man and another in Washington State were hospitalized for severe stomach pains after eating food from their grills. Doctors soon discovered that both men had consumed metal brush bristles, which had gone on to perforate their intestines. Both men survived after undergoing surgery.

Senator Schumer wants data from hospitals reviewed to see if there is enough of a trend of similar injuries to warrant a nationwide recall of the brushes. He also questions whether or not the brush manufacturers did enough to disclose potential safety issues with their grill brushes.

You can count on NCCC to keep you up updated on any new developments in this story.

Consumers should check grill brushes for any signs of loose bristles. For old and heavily used brushes, we recommend that you err on the side of caution and purchase a new one.