Have a New Baby or One on the Way? Don't Miss These Tax Breaks

Babies change everything about Our lives, including thh amount of money we spend on taxes

Have a New Baby or One on the Way? Don't Miss These Often-Overlooked Tax Breaks
Image: Pexels
September 7, 2018

After all the time you spend getting ready for your new baby, your taxes are probably the last thing on your sleep-deprived mind. But they shouldn't be. Children can save their parents money on their taxes in many ways.

All new and prospective parents can use some help in navigating the tax code to save some money. Some credits and deductions are designed particularly to offset the expenses involved in raising a child, so make sure you know about all of those you're eligible for. This is why, if you have a new baby or are even thinking about having one, you should know about all the credits and deductions you can get for becoming a parent.

The following information is intended as a general guide. For any tax advice or questions, consult a tax advisor.

  1. Before Doing Anything, Get Your Child a Social Security Number
  2. The first thing you need to do is to get your newborn his or her own Social Security number. This number is the only way the IRS can verify that the child exists and that you are eligible to receive the deductions and credits you're claiming.

    Most hospitals will help you get your child's number at the same time you request a birth certificate. It can only benefit you to get it as soon as possible, since without it you will have to file a form (FSS-5) with the Social Security Administration, you will be fined $50 for every dependent you claim who doesn't have a valid number, and your refund could be significantly delayed.

  3. The Dependent Exemption
  4. You are eligible to claim this exemption for whichever tax year your child was born. With it, $4,150 of your income is exempt from being taxed, which will be very helpful in taking care of your new baby.

  5. The Child Tax Credit
  6. If you have a child under age 17, take the Child Tax Credit, which is doubled for tax year 2018. This credit can be worth up to $2,000 per qualifying child, and you are probably eligible to claim it regardless of your income.

    Before you can claim the credit, you and/or your child have to meet the seven eligibility requirements set by the IRS. These are as follows:

    • Age
    • The child has to be under 17 on December 31 of the tax year for which you want to claim the credit. If the child turns 17 on December 31, you can't claim the credit.

    • Your Relationship with the Child
    • You can only claim the credit for your child, your stepchild, or a foster child placed into your care by an authorized state agency or court. You may have adopted a child through a legal adoption process. If this is the case, this process must either be concluded or ongoing by December 31 of the tax year for which you want to claim the credit.

    • Financial Support
    • While not common, if the child supported him or herself with more than half of his or her own money, you don't qualify for the credit.

    • Claiming as a Dependent
    • The child in question is eligible to be claimed as your dependent only if he or she is related to you by blood or by law and is under the age of 19. He or she can be claimed up to age 24 if he or she is a full-time student more than five months out of the year and has had to live in your household for more than half of the year.

      A child who has not supported him or herself financially for more than half the year or is permanently disabled may also be claimed.

    • Citizenship
    • The child has to be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, or a U.S. resident alien.

    • Residence
    • Your child has to have lived in your household for more than six months if you want to claim the credit. Any child born or who passed away during the tax year will be counted as having lived with you for the full year.

      You can still meet this requirement if you or your child was absent temporarily for the following reasons: attending school, going on vacation, medical or business reasons, military service, or incarceration in a juvenile facility. These circumstances may count as time the child lived with you.

    • Family Income
    • If your modified adjusted gross income falls above a specific threshold per your tax-filing status, the amount you can get from the Child Tax Credit is lowered. This amount depends upon the final numbers. In addition, you can't collect the amount of the credit as part of a refund, so if you don't owe anything on this year's taxes, the credit is unused.

  7. Childcare Providers
  8. Working parents can deduct the costs of babysitters, nannies, and daycare programs from their taxes, but only if they provide the proper records for each care provider. You must be able to provide either the Tax ID or Social Security number for any and all care providers you employ during the year in order to claim the Child and Dependent Tax Credit. If you don't, the IRS will probably deny your claim for the credit.

    You might also be eligible for the credit if your child is under age 13 and enrolled in a summer camp while the parents are working, looking for work, or enrolled in school. Make sure to have all the camp's necessary information to claim this expense.

  9. Head of Household
  10. Most single parents overlook the head of household tax break, which allows them to claim dependents as well as other advantages. To qualify for this status, you have to have paid more than half of the costs related to maintaining the household in which you and your children live over the course of the year. In addition, you also have to have lived in that residence for more than half of the tax year.