Anhing Announces Cookie Recall Due to Excessive Levels of Lead
A sweet Vietnamese treat may not be safe for consumers.
The Anhing Corporation, a Los Angeles-based Asian food importer and wholesaler, is recalling ABC Cookies Banh Chu due to unsafe levels of lead. Almost 100 jars of cookies are included in the recall.
Anhing Corporation learned on Aug. 12, 2015, from the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), that the ABC Cookies contained lead in excess of the California State requirements. Anhing Corporation immediately quarantined the remaining inventory and is notifying four retailers in California to stop selling and for consumers not to eat these cookies.
Analysis conducted by the CDPH indicates that each cookie contained a lead level of 13 parts per million (ppm) for a labeled serving size. California considers products to be dangerous to children at a threshold of six ppm.
The recalled product is packaged in a plastic jar shaped and painted as a cat's face. The bottle has a red lid that contains a paper label bearing the "Caravelle" brand logo. Each jar contains seven ounces of cookies.
Excess lead is known to cause health problems, especially for infants, small children, and pregnant women. Symptoms of lead poisoning include headaches, stomach cramps, fatigue, memory loss, high blood pressure, and seizures. For children, lead poisoning has been linked to learning disabilities and developmental delays.
Consumers in possession of packages of ABC Cookies should not eat them and should return the cookies to the place of purchase. Customers with questions can contact the Anhing Corporation at (323) 221-8003.