Cinmar Recalls World Magnetic Travel Maps Due to Risk of Magnet Ingestion by Children

Internal injury from swallowed magnets can pose serious lifelong health effects

Cinmar Recalls World Magnetic Travel Maps Due to Risk of Magnet Ingestion by Children
Image: NCCC
August 4, 2016

Cinmar has issued a recall of approximately 4,500 magnetic travel maps with magnets due to the risk that children may ingest the magnets.

When two or more magnets are swallowed, they can link together inside the intestines and clamp onto body tissues, causing intestinal obstructions, perforations, sepsis, and death. Internal injury from magnets can pose serious lifelong health effects.

This recall involves World Magnetic Travel Maps with a burlwood frame. The world maps measure 54 inches wide and 36 inches tall and comes with 50 magnetic markers. The maps affected by this recall have item number 145684, which is printed on the packaging. They were sold exclusively at Frontgate retail and outlet stores and online from October 2015 through March 2016 for about $225.

There have been no injuries or incidents reported related to the recall.

Consumers should immediately stop using the magnetic markers that came with the product, keep them out of reach of children, and either dispose of them or recycle them. Cinmar is contacting consumers who purchased the products directly and will provide instructions on how to receive replacement magnets.

Consumers with questions can reach Cinmar at (888) 263-9850.