GM Recalls Chevy Volts that Could Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Image: General Motors

GM Recalls Chevy Volts that Could Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

March 26, 2015

Your Chevy Volt could give you carbon monoxide poisoning.

If the driver leaves the car without turning off the electrical system, the battery may drain low enough to cause the gasoline engine to start itself and recharge the battery. If the car is parked in an enclosed space, like a garage, there could be a buildup of carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas that is odorless and tasteless.

More than 50,200 model year 2011-2013 Chevrolet Volts are affected by the recall.

General Motors will notify owners affected by the recall, but has not yet provided a notification schedule. Dealers will update the engine management software to limit the time that the stationary vehicle can be left in the ON position.

For more information owners can contact Chevrolet customer service at (800) 222-1020.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide (CO) is called the invisible killer because, unlike natural gas or propane, which has added chemicals to give them a distinct smell, CO is odorless and tasteless.

Those who experience CO poisoning will feel dizzy, lightheaded, nauseated and may get headaches. If exposed for prolonged periods of time, victims can pass out and slowly suffocate.

Most problems with CO poisoning comes from heat-generating equipment, like a furnace.

Along with a working smoke detector, a CO detector should be installed on every floor of your home, including the garage. A CO detector will alert you to a leak early enough to allow you to escape the house with your family.

More information on preventing carbon monoxide poisoning can be found here.