Imported Boneless Veal Products May Contain Toxin Producing E. coli
The bacterium may be deadly
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) has issued a Public Health Alert notifying consumers that 424 pounds of imported boneless veal products may contain a toxin producing a type of E. coli.
The products, which were imported from the Netherlands, may be contaminated with Non-O157 Shiga toxin-producing E. coli. They were derived from calves killed on March 8 and 9, 2017 and were processed and packaged on March 9 and 13, 2017. The products were shipped to a distributor and then to restaurants and grocery stores in Florida and Massachusetts.
The affected products include the following:
- Boxes of chilled Boneless Veal Cap with case code Londbos05597422 and lot code 0001
- Boxes of chilled Boneless Veal BHS with case code Londbos05597426 and lot code 0005
- Boxes of chilled Boneless Veal Inside with case code Londbos05597439 and lot code 0006
- Boxes of chilled Boned In Veal Rack Chop with case code SELEDEL05593535 and lot code 0012
Like other E. coli, this bacterium can be deadly. It may cause dehydration, bloody diarrhea, and abdominal cramps two to eight days after exposure, three to four days on average. Though most people recover within one week, some develop a kind of kidney failure known as hemolytic uremic syndrome marked by easy bruising, pallor, and less urine output.
Anyone experiencing these symptoms should get emergency medical care immediately. To date, there have not been any confirmed reports of illnesses connected with consumption of these products. Consumers are urged to either throw them away or take them back to the place of purchase.
For more information, consumers can contact the USDA's Meat and Poultry Hotline at (888) 674-6854.