Most Road Construction Projects in NC Will Be Suspended for the Fourth of July Holiday
construction projects will be halted from early morning on July 3 through the evening of July 5
Good news for those planning to travel in North Carolina over the Fourth of July holiday! The NC Department of Transportation (NCDOT) will stop most road construction on major routes across the state.
NCDOT will suspend the majority of construction projects along interstate, NC and U.S. routes from early morning on Tuesday, July 3 through the evening of Thursday, July 5.
Fourth of July Travel Tips
To help you navigate the highways safely during the July 4th holiday, remember to:
- Leave early to get a head start on your drive. Travel at non-peak hours when possible.
- Stay alert. Even if work is suspended, you may encounter narrowed lanes and traffic shifts in work zones.
- Be patient and obey the posted speed limit.
- Use alternate routes, when possible, to avoid traffic congestion.
- Stay informed. Real-time travel information is available online and over the phone by dialing 511.
- Don't drive drowsy. Travel at times when you are normally awake, and take frequent breaks.
- Avoid distracted driving. When drivers stop focusing on the road ahead, they react more slowly to traffic conditions and are more likely to be involved in an accident.
Booze It & Lose It
Law enforcement will also be cracking down on drinking and driving throughout the Fourth of July holiday week. The North Carolina Governor's Highway Safety Program (GHSP) started its Operation Firecracker campaign last week, aimed at catching impaired drivers. So far in 2018, more than 130 people have lost their lives as a result of alcohol-related crashes in North Carolina.
Sobriety checkpoints will be in place in all 100 North Caroliona counties through Sunday, July 8 in an effort to get drunk drivers off the road.
For real-time travel information anytime, visit the travel section of the NCDOT website.