Potential Salmonella Contamination Prompts Recall of Dog Treats
Salmonella may affect dogs as well as humans
Loving Pets is recalling air-puffed dog treats that may be contaminated with salmonella.
The following products are included in this recall:
Loving Pets Barksters
- Item Number 5700, Sweet Potato and Chicken, UPC 842982057005, Lot Number 021619
- Item Number 5705, Brown Rice and Chicken, UPC 842982057050, Lot Number 021419
Loving Pets Puffsters Snack Chips
- Item Number 5100, Apple and Chicken, UPC 842982051003, Lot Numbers 051219, 112118, 112918, 012719, 012519, 013019
- Item Number 5110, Banana and Chicken, UPC 842982051102, Lot Numbers 112218, 112818, 112918, 013119
- Item Number 5120, Sweet Potato and Chicken, UPC 842982051201, Lot Numbers 112818, 020119
- Item Number 5130, Cranberry and Chicken, UPC 842982051300, Lot Numbers 020319, 112918, 020219
- Item Number 2570314, Chicken and Apple Puff Treats, UPC 800443220696, Lot Numbers 121418, 121918, 122318, 010419, 010619, 010519
Although the company has not received any reports of illnesses, injuries, or complaints, consumers are encouraged to take the affected treats back to the place of purchase.
Salmonella may affect both animals and humans, especially if the people did not thoroughly wash their hands after handling either the contaminated products or the surfaces exposed to them.
People who have come into contact with any if these items should monitor themselves for the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping, and fever. The bacterium can also lead to more seriously illnesses, such as arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. If you handled any of the affected products and are exhibiting these symptoms, contact your healthcare provider.
Pets infected by salmonella can be lethargic and experience diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting, though some will have only a decreased appetite, fever, and abdominal pain. Infected pets can carry salmonella and infect other animals or people. Contact your veterinarian if your pet ate any of the recalled products and is showing the above symptoms.
For more information, consumers can reach Loving Pets at (866) 599-7387.