Recalled Curry Powder Seasonings May Be Contaminated with Lead
Consumers are urged to dispose of the recalled products or return them to the place of purchase
Oriental Packing Co. has issued a recall affecting approximately 377,000 lbs. of blended seasoning curry products that may be contaminated with lead.
Lead can accumulate in the body over time and can cause serious and sometimes permanent adverse health consequences. To date, no illnesses linked to these products have been reported.
This recall was initiated following a routine sampling program conducted by the New York State Health Department, which revealed that the finished products in question contained lead. Oriental Packing has ceased the production and distribution of the affected blended seasoning curry products as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) continues its investigation into the matter.
The following recalled products were distributed in New York and Florida and were sold through internet sales and retail stores nationwide:
- Blue Mountain Brand: Blue Mountain Country Mild Curry Powder, Blue Mountain Country Hot Curry Powder, Blue Mountain Country Hot Jamaican Jerk Curry Seasoning
- Jamaica Choice Brand: Jamaica Choice Mild, Jamaica Hot Curry Powder
- Ocho Rios Brand: Ocho-Rios Jamaican Nice Mild Curry Powder, Ocho Rios Spicy Curry Powder, Ocho Rios Jerk Curry Seasoning Mild, Ocho Rios Jerk Curry Seasoning Spicy
- Oriental Brand: Oriental Mild Curry Powder, Oriental Hot Curry Powder
- Grace Brand: Grace Mild Curry Powder, Grace Hot Curry Powder, Grace Caribbean Curry Powder, Grace Caribbean Tradition Hot Curry Powder
The recalled products come in two ounce, four ounce, six ounce, eight ounce, 22 ounce, and five pound glass and plastic bottles. For a full list of lot numbers and best-before dates of the affected products, see the FDA release.
Consumers are urged to dispose of the recalled blended seasoning curry products following Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and/or state and county regulations, or return the products to the place of purchase for a full refund.
For additional information on this recall, contact Oriental Packing Company at (800) 809-9793.