Want to Join the Fight to Save Net Neutrality? Here's How You Can Do It
Image: Pixabay

Want to Join the Fight to Save Net Neutrality? Here's How You Can Do It

Net neutrality rollbacks will be put to a vote at an FCC open meeting on May 18

May 15, 2017

If you're a savvy consumer, then you know about the proposal made by new Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Ajit Pai to roll back consumer-friendly net neutrality laws.

These laws prevent major telecommunications companies from controlling the Internet and consumers' ability to access it. If they are repealed, those companies could gain that control.

Fortunately, there is still time for you to give your opinion on the proposal: the FCC is scheduled to put it to a final vote in an open meeting on May 18, so there are still three days left. See below for five ways in which you can make your voice heard.

  1. Write
  2. Because the FCC's website has been experiencing problems since opening a forum for public comment, you may want to make sure the agency receives your written opinion via letter. To do this, you can use Dear FCC, a service provided by the nonprofit Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF). If the FCC site goes down again, the service will deliver your letter when it goes back up.

  3. Call
  4. You can reach the FCC by phone at (888) 225-5322. At the prompt, press one, then four, then two, then zero. This will connect you to an agent with whom you can file a complaint.

  5. Attend a town hall
  6. Although recent events have prompted many members of Congress to avoid town halls in their areas, some are still holding them. If there will be one in your area, go and let your congressman/woman know what you think about net neutrality.

  7. Contact Congress
  8. You can still make your voice heard by your congressional representatives even if they don't hold a town hall. To do so, simply customize this form message and submit it to the EFF.

  9. Email the chairman
  10. You can reach Ajit Pai by email at Ajit.Pai@fcc.gov to ask him to reconsider his proposal. An alternative would be to send him a pre-filled message provided by ProtectOurInternet.