What to Do If You Want to Report a Defective Product
Image: NCCC

What to Do If You Want to Report a Defective Product

August 10, 2015

We see news about recalls all the time, especially if you're a loyal follower of this site, but do you know what to do if you discover a defective product?

Diane Lee of WSPA-TV of Spartanburg, SC thinks you should know. According to Lee, the answer is two-fold.

First, contact the manufacturer. Second, contact the appropriate government agency. For a food-related complaint, contact the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). If your issue is related to a consumer product, contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

Even if you assume someone has already reported the defect, you should still make the effort. According to the CPSC, the number of reports carries some weight in determining whether the agency will approach the manufacturer about initiating a recall.

If you're not sure which agency you should call, visit saferproducts.gov, and click on "Report An Unsafe Product" to file a report.

In the even that you choose to contact a manufacturer through email or mail, usa.gov has a published a sample complaint letter to help you.